Saturday, November 28, 2009

"The Glass is Half Full and not Half Empty..."

     I am so glad to be done with Thanksgiving week finally.  It ended up being one of the most out of control times in a very long while and it all started the Wednesday before the holiday.  I had rented a car so that I could drive up to Boston this year instead of taking the train like I usually do.  So I get to the rental place right at 10am to pick up my car, and I am suddenly told that I must have a credit card in my name or else they won't rent me a car.  I tell the woman behind the counter that I received an email from Orbitz stating that all I needed was a Debit card in my name to pick up the car.  She told me that I could use a Debit card at the Airports but in the city I had to have a Credit card.  Needless to say that after over half an hour on the phone and a lot of runaround from both Orbitz and Alamo I was walking down 8th Ave toward Penn Station without a car.  (To give you an idea of thevdislike of Orbitz for many similar reasons check out this site: http://orbitz-sucks.com )  SO I end up getting train tickets up and back after all and I'm finally able to leave NYC an hour later.  The whole reason I had wanted to drive up was the fact that I had to work at 9pm on Thanksgiving eve until 6am Friday morning and didn't want to deal with getting to the station during the holiday.  After 3 plus hours on the train I find myself in Boston waiting for the Red Line out of the city so I can catch one of the commuter trains out to Concord to be picked up.  As soon as I get to the platform for the commuter train I see it pull out of the station without me, so I'm forced to wait for almost an hour until the next train.  The next one arrives and I find a seat and sit down between two large men just to hear the conductor tell us that it is going express and the next stop will be South Acton, which is well past my stop.  I called my Aunt and told her of the unscheduled change in plan and to see if she can come pick me up at my new stop.  She gets there a little after the train and takes me to my other Aunts house.  I had finally made it to my destination after traveling for 8 hours for a trip that should take 4 and a half.
       The next day up until my return departure was absolutely great.  I have now become one of the "Turkey Bitches" that arrive early Thanksgiving morning to prep and cook the bird for dinner at 2pm.  This is the second year that I have done this with my two Aunts and its a lot of work buts its also a really fun time.  Especially after the bird is in the oven, when we get to sit down to coffee and just catch up until the rest of the house awakens.  Dinner was delicious and I got to set the table with my cousin again this year.

     I was really sad to leave right after we finished dinner because I only get to see some of my relatives once a year and I would have liked more time with them.  I got to work that night at 9pm and worked all night and didn't leave until 7am the next morning.  But it doesn't end there, I then had to be back at 9pm on Friday night for Round 2 which I didn't leave until 7:30am this morning...but at least I missed all the shopping freaks that were out on Black Friday morning trying to save a buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment